Monday, May 7, 2012


Event photography: The art of being invisible.....or not.

I am far too polite to rant but I do have a pet peeve every now and again.  My peeve is fostered in the art and science of invisibility or in many cases the lack of it.  I have attended a couple of functions lately where the event photographer was the center of attention.  I am not sure if anyone else has come across this breed of photographer, I have been told that they are not rare, personally I think they should be extinct, but I am hard core and don't expect everyone to share this view.  Although they fall under the same category there are distinct subspecies, I have called them "the flasher" and  "center stager" (my spell checker tells me this is not a real word it is therefore a Whiskenism).

I met the Flasher at a charity event, he looked professional, blended in with the crowd and didn't have "Professional Photographer"  festooned in large letters on any part of his clothing.  Anyone who looks presentable and fits in with the theme of the event gets an approval tick from me (please note that an approval tick from me counts nothing in the greater scheme of things, in other words it has equal weight with my pet peeves).  He was on time another thing that smacks of professionalism.  He had a shiny new SLR complete with an awesome shoe flash.  The awesome flash had a fantastic recycling rate which he used to good effect taking hundreds of photographs from the same spot somewhere behind my right shoulder.    During the event three speakers stood motionless for varying amounts of time at a podium, in addition a couple of awards were presented to deserving recipients, all got ample recognition from our intrepid flasher.  Our flasher obviously adopted the strategy "better to be safe than sorry", although the scene was pretty static one can never have too many photographs of the same thing, it is after all one of the things we love about digital photography.  

My peeve is related to the small lightning flashes, the distinctive click of the camera and the whine of the charge every few seconds, personally I find it annoying, disruptive and totally unnecessary, the fact that no-one had an epileptic episode was not through lack of trying.  The room was well lit and I had a feeling that if you put a fast lens on the super duper camera a flash would not be necessary at all, I have shot functions in terrible lighting where a good fast lens can makes the difference, obviously being in control of the situation and generating your own light is sometimes necessary.

Filled with evil thoughts I balanced them with possible excuses for our flasher (I am critical but fair), NGO's are not known for big budgets an extenuating circumstance when booking photographic talent (free usually sounds like the right price).  In addition photographers starting out cannot always afford suitable lenses, (although an investment in a 50 prime one of the fastest cheapest lenses on the market and not too bad a focal length on a camera with a 1.6 crop factor should be in most photographers budgets).   I kept this in mind as I talked to the photographer after the event, he was pleasant, well spoken and entirely likeable another plus when roaming events with a camera.   I was obviously impressed with the battery capacity of his flash which had done a manful job of keeping up with his itchy trigger finger, I commented on its great recycling rate, he told me it was fantastic especially when he did weddings.   The flasher is not someone I would employ to do my wedding but I have seen the results of his labors.

My "Center Stage" photographer was brash and confident, everything a photographer should be at a corporate event, she was also a flasher although her flash was not as good as "The Flasher" and she was slightly less prodigious as a result.  She was also appropriately dressed, score 1 point, she moved around the venue and got different angles and people score another point, she also stood for an inordinately long time in front of the speaker, blocking our view on multiple occasions while she reeled of shot after shot, I don't give points for this.  Again our speaker was not moving, he was not doing an act and he spoke for thirty minutes, more than enough time to take a well considered shot, duck down or disappear from center stage, review the shot and repeat if necessary.  I admired the Centre Stager she had panache she had flair she looked the part (you know the one where the stereotypical  fashion photographer adopts fantastic poses to get the right angle and you immediately resolve  to see if your body can bend like that, later, at night, in a dark room.....alone...in front of the mirror).  

Both the Flasher and the Center Stager have contrived maybe unwittingly to make the event about them, I am all for getting the shot but take it and move on, some actions happen once, you need to be sure of your equipment and talent to get the shot, use your flash if necessary and move on.  There are poignant moments when people deliver speeches make sure you know what and when they are and that you are in a place to get them, then move on, it allows people to concentrate on the reason they came to the event  which 9 times out of ten was not to watch you in action (Please note that in this case the "Center Stager" was at least if not more interesting than the speaker and may have had a more favorable ratio; this rule does not apply in any parliamentary debate where the photographer is definitely the most interesting person on show).

Most event coordinators prefer a conservative approach, they want evidence that the event took place they want those special moments captured in an artistically pleasing way that suits the style of the event but they want you to do it as unobtrusively as possible.  This does not apply if you are really famous and the coordinator paid an obscene amount of money for your talent, then you are quite possibly part of the show and may need to perform. (Jarrell Whisken is the Managing Director of Thomas International Maritimes, he is an avid landscape photographer with a love for open spaces, he dislikes people in his photographs and goes to great lengths to ensure they are not there, he also attends a lot of functions.....he also thinks he is reasonably funny - multitudes have pointed out that this is not the case yet still he persists).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lenscrafters